Monday, February 26, 2018


I made this Southern rifle using forged wrought iron hardware.  It has the 42 inch  50 caliber Rice a-wt barrel with a Chambers Late Ketland lock.  The stock turned out very nice using my iron nitrate stain.

I got a trunk load of wrought iron from a restoration in Petersburg, VA where they were restoring the grounds of several Civil War era buildings.  The iron came from the dilapidated iron fence in the back yard of one of the houses.  It appears to be third run wrought and forges very nicely.  I still have some and will bring a few bars to Fort Frederick this spring.

10 years ago,  bought a liter of nitric acid from Antec in Louisville, KY.  I used iron filings from my shop tediously collected while I was doing file work on forged wrought iron butt plates and trigger guards I sell.  The concoction gave off a cloud of red fumes I managed to stay upwind of and now I have a lifetime supply of the stain.  I will bring several bottles to Fort Frederick if you are interested.

I suggest buying ferric nitrate crystals to make your stain and avoid the hazardous material shipping fees and drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment