Monday, February 26, 2018


I call this my Wilderness rifle. An early  Southern rifle, with a patchbox a bit large but typical of some I've seen on SC and Georgia rifles and of course Woodbury rifles built by the House Brothers.  It has a 44 inch 54 caliber c-wt Rice barrel and a modified large Siler lock. 


I forged all the butt plate, triggers, trigger guard and side plate in my forge.  I hope to never build a set of double set triggers by hand again.  Took me three tries.  They are double lever so can set off the lock set or unset.  The nose cap is poured pewter and I made the ramrod thimbles from sheet metal from a Ford pickup. 


The carving is a bit simple and like I said the patchbox could be cut down a bit but all in all I was satisfied with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment