Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Shop Standard Fowler

I like to have several long guns with me when I go to shows and events.  I usually take two "shop standard" versions to show what a base entry level long gun from my shop looks like,  and two or more fancier projects to show what a might be possible at a higher price point.  These are "spec guns" and I try to turn them over every couple of years.

Below is a look at my "shop standard" fowler.  It is made to be very much like a short barreled British fowler except it has an American styled side plate and a flame sugar maple stock.  It has a 38 inch oct-to-round 20 gauge smooth barrel with a slight flare in the last 8 inches of the muzzle.  I put an early Ketland lock on it that I modified to have a beveled plate like original British fowlers would have had.  The wrist gradually tapers as it runs back from the breech and is carried through into the butt stock. I do not always get lucky and have the stock turn out so nicely figured on my shop standard projects.  This stock came from Dunlap Woodcrafts and was a grade 2.  The more I scraped the more the figure "popped".









The off side and the more provincial sideplate.



I put a bit of engraving behind the breech on this one.  Normally a shop standard fowler or barn gun would not have any carving at all.

The trigger guard is  a fairly ornate casting.  Iron mounts would be far planer as I would forge them myself out of wrought iron and the file work would increase the price significantly.


A shop standard fowler, with either brass or iron mounts, 38  to 44 inch barrel, in maple or walnut,Chambers Colonial VA lock or early Ketland lock, start at $1500.  This piece needs to go.  I am taking offers.  I have reduced the price to $1000.  Contact me at kentsmithlongrifles@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice looking Fowler. What is the approx. finished weight range on these?

    ReplyDelete