Saturday, April 13, 2019

A couple years ago I got a load of wrought iron from a salvage job in Petersburg.  There was a renovation project going on in the historic district.  A Civil War era house was being restored and an old iron fence was being removed and replaced with a new mild steel "wrought iron" replacement.  I was able to get a trunk load of the old fencing.  It turned out to be pretty good puddled or wrought iron - the real stuff.

I am making an early Western North Carolina flintlock rifle similar to but not exactly the "Old Holston" gun.  It will be iron mounted, with a shorter 38" barrel, and  I will make a wooden patchbox like the Holston gun.  I'd like to have it ready for Ft. Frederick.

Friday I hammered out the trigger guard from the wrought iron and it went pretty well.  The metal is 1/2" square and about 7" long.  I also flattened out a few pieces into 1/4" X 3/4" flats and will bring some of these to sell at Ft. Fred.  Will also bring some squares to sell so if you are going and want to buy some decent wrought iron I have some to sell you.  I work it hot, orange-yellow and hit it hard.  Once it gets heated up it works very nice, I've never had any wrought iron you didn't have to get real hot to work without it splitting.

Update 07/2020:  I got the gun done in time for Ft, Frederick.  No one there seemed to know anything about the "Old Holston Gun".  I think I will make another like this one only with a 44 inch barrel.  As I look at it I think it would look much better with a longer barrel.  This one will be good for a still hunt or woods walk though. Took the gun to Martin's Station and it received much more attention.  I still have some work to do to finish her up for sale hopefully before hunting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment