Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Pouches

I have a bunch of pouches.  I just added 4 more.  In August and February, when the weather is too hot or too cold I spend a lot of time making pouches and decorating horns.  Here are a couple I have pictures of.


The first is a primitive Appalachian pouch made out of bark tanned deer hide with waxed linen thread.  It has a cow hide strap, a forged buckle and is fairly heavily antiqued.  It is 7 inches wide and 9 inches deep.  Everything is saddle stitched.



This one is my rendition of a pouch James Rogers has made his signature pouch.  Several years ago I made one like this out of goat skin so I thought I would try one again.  This hide was a bit on the thin side, probably too thin for this type of work as it doesn't hold its shape as well as I would like.  It has a cow hide strap with a buckle for adjustment.  A pewter button is used to keep the flap closed.  This pouch pairs well with an early trade or fowler long gun.  It is 7 inches wide and 7 inches deep.  I am going to make another out of bark tanned deer hide to see the difference.

I will post pictures of the other 2 new pouches when either my son or grandson get around to taking the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment